Likes, comments, subscribers - Oh my!
Social media plays a significant role in peer-to-peer interaction for today's children- if you're 35 years old or older, you grew up differently. You built friendships through face-to-face interactions at prescribed times (school, recreational activities, and playing outside until the street lights came on;)
We often talk about the harmful impacts of social media. Yet, we rarely have conversations that balance social media's positive and negative components until today!
In today's episode, I discuss the pros and cons of social media while sharing strategies that families can use to set boundaries, ensure safety, and, most importantly, tend to the mental health needs of their children.
Welcome to another episode of Notes From A Child Psychologist.
- [00:03:36] Note of the week, Social Media Effects On Child Mental Health
- [00:06:31] How social media satisfies the need for social connections in today's adolescents
- [00:08:52] As the world goes, digital social media is a resource that improves children's technical savvy
- [00:09:52] Is your child a creative person that struggles to find outlets in their school and community? Social media can help children express their creativity and find their tribe. Listen as I explain how.
- [00:11:43] Worried that your adolescent is developing an addiction to their phone and social accounts? You may not be wrong.
- [00:12:54] Is there such a thing as too much time spent on social media? According to research, there is, and the consequence can lead to anxiety and other mental health concerns.
- [00:14:49]The Facebook Study on social media and female self-esteem
- [00:16:06] Cyberbullying is a real concern, and it's impacting children in ways that weren't possible 20 years ago; listen as I explain how to protect your child.
- [00:18:37]Strategies for setting boundaries on your child's social media usage and minimizing inappropriate content
- [00:20:28] The million-dollar question - Is checking your child's phone fair? Here I weigh in with my professional opinion
- [00:22:29] Talking to adolescents and preteens can be tricky. Here are a few strategies and alternatives to social media that your child may not mind engaging.
Email Address- Dr.firstname.lastname@example.org
Note of the week -Social Media Affects Mental Health
Mentioned In This Episode:
Listen to: Who makes the parenting rules?
Understanding Social Media and your child's mental health
Support the show